March 21, 2012

Goodbye Brass

When we moved into our new home in October, there were definitely some changes that we wanted to make and we moved in with the understanding that would happen in time.
One of my least favorite things about the house is the BRASS doorknobs...fireplace...hardware. It's everywhere...in my face...nasty brass staring at me.

One of the pieces in the house that bothered me the most was the fireplace in the family room. We spend a lot of time in this room and it is always taunting me. "Hi it's me..Mr. Nasty Brassy Fireplace. can you see your reflection in my nasty brassy shininess?? "Okay....clearly the brass is making me crazy!

It was time to change it...I came across a fabulous fireplace redo on the blog Crafty Chic Mommy while surfing Pintrest the other day and decided that I must do a fireplace redo of my own ASAP.

I removed the slats and washed and dried them...I then sanded them to rough up the surface. Spray painted them - I did 3 coats and replaced them on the fireplace! So simple...such a big difference!



Here is a before picture - note: I got so excited to get started I forgot to take a before pic..so this one from Christmas will have to do :)



This is the amazing spray paint I used : RustOleum High Heat Spray Paint

***Make sure you use the manufacturer's instructions!*** (obviously)



Here is the much improved fire place with the new black slats



Are you as excited as me?!?!?

This was so easy and literally took me 15 minutes!


I should warn you...I currently have and addiction to spray paint! I have other nasty brass things in my home that will be getting an update!! Including door knobs and hardware...so excited to see how they'll turn out!

Goodbye brass!

2 comments:

  1. Such a huge difference! I love spray paint too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out great Kathy! I took a peek at it when I broke into your house today :)

    ReplyDelete